In 2003 a small group of people in conjunction with St.Thomas Central Railway organized an event to bring Steam Engine #9 to Hespeler for an excursion that went from just under the Hwy 401 through Hespeler, GlenChristie to Guelph. The group included Bill Russ, Paul Langan, Al Mair and a couple more. History was made as people got to travel by rail from Hespeler to Guelph for the first time by steam engine since the 1950s. Here is link to video: https://youtu.be/D7Kp07zGU6A
The train had a diesel engine on one end and the steam on the other.
This historic footage was taken by Bill and Jason Russ. What to look for in this footage? There is footage from three trips on this video. It is worth it to watch the whole clip for the different views of the trips.
- Former Dominion Woollens location. Where people got on and off.
- Travelling under Hwy #401 by train
- Travelling by the former community of GlenChristie ( you can see the sidings)
- Footage from on and off the train travelling over the railbridge on Speed River.
- On Blackbridge Road there is now a level rail/road crossing. There used to be a railbridge underpass for safe movement of train under the road. See the rare footage of it before it was torn out. The train goes under it a few times on different excusions that day.
- You get to see the fantastic footage of the train going by the then Hespeler CN Railway Station.(3rd trip)
- Crossing Hwy 24 at once was Gourock, ON.
- Arriving in Guelph on Alama Street.
Enjoy this video piece of Hespeler history.